Our Equality Duties
We aim to be a community where everyone is treated fairly and with respect. We want everyone to reach their potential, and we recognise that for some pupils extra support is needed to help them to achieve and be successful.
We take our legal duties on equality seriously. We welcome our general duty under the Equality Act 2010 to eliminate discrimination, to advance equality of opportunity and to foster good relations.
We are required to publish equality information as well as equality objectives, which show how we plan to reduce or remove particular inequalities or disadvantages. This document is reviewed and updated annually.
This document describes how the Governing Body of Bannockburn Primary School intends to fulfil its responsibilities under the Public Sector Equality Duty with regards to its workforce.
We will have regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act;
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it; and
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not share it.
We will collect and use equality information to help us to:
- Identify key issues
- Understand the impact of our policies , practices and decisions on people with different protected characteristics, and thereby plan them more effectively;
- Assess whether you are discriminating unlawfully when carrying out any of our functions;
- Identify what the key equality issues are for our organisation.
- Benchmark our performance and processes against those of similar organisations, nationally or locally.
- Consider taking steps to meet the needs of staff who share relevant protected characteristics;
- Identify if there are any actions we can take to avoid discrimination and harassment, advance equality of opportunity or foster good relations;
- Make informed decisions about policies and practices which are based on evidence about the impact of our activities on equality;
- Develop equality objectives to meet the specific duties;
- Have due regard to the aims of the general equality duty by ensuring that staff have appropriate information for decision-making.
Publication of Equality Information
We will collect and use enough workforce information to effectively meet the general equality duty.
To view our Equality & Diversity Policy, please click here.
To view our Equality objectives, please click here.